ARC Review: Impostor by Susanne Winnacker

Title: Impostor
Series: Variants #1
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Mystery
Release Date: 2nd January 2014
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Rating:  (2.5 stars)
Review Copy: NetGalley
Book Blurb: 
Tessa is a Variant with extraordinary abilities. She could be a hero, but all she wants to do is fall in love ...
Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she's spent the last two years with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. There she trains with other Variants, such as long-term crush Alec, who each have their own extraordinary ability.
When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again. Tessa hates everything about being an impostor - the stress, the danger, the deceit - but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she'd do anything to keep.
Amid action, suspense, and a ticking clock, this super-human comes to a very human conclusion: even a girl who can look like anyone struggles the most with being herself.
REVIEW
*Thank you NetGalley and Hodder Children's Books for the ARC! :)*

2.5 stars

Tessa... Name ring a bell? How about, shapeshifter? Ring a bell? Yes? Yes? Where did you hear it? I'll tell you. Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices's Tessa Gray. Same name, same ability. Difference is that Tessa of Impostor can copy your face, body, tone of voice perfectly without having to touch a person's belonging like Tessa of TID. 

Anyway, I liked this one. It's okay story, had me gripping my seat some of the time, made me want to ask more but a bit predictable. I set my eyes on the killer the moment he was introduced. I wavered, yes, but I usually go back to him.

I liked Alec (yes, same name again, this time with CC's TMI) but he's too stubborn, too controlling (hate controlling guys), too undecided. I liked Devon more, but one would ask "what's the difference with the two of them?" Honestly, not much. Devon is a bit controlling too. They're both (Devon and Alec) overprotective of Tessa/Madison. But I think Tessa will grow more together with Devon, I just know it.

She'll soon dump Alec. LOL. Devon is much honest with what he feels though, that was why I liked him better. And as for Tessa, I do understand her problems with everything. Like pretending to be Madison so they could get the killer. I liked her.

I'm definitely looking forward with the next book. I wanna know more about the guys. :)

P.S. I dunno why but my eARC copy was messed up, I think. Tessa got an email from her friend Holly but all it shows was a bunch of symbols. I'm not sure if it was intended by the author but I just turn and turn and turn the pages until I found the next words. And I feel something was missing because of that. But oh well, not gonna read it again anyway. I'm okay with what happened in the end. Guess that's fine. I could knit the pieces together anyways.
PURCHASE LINKS
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up