Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) hits Philippines

Please do pardon me for posting not related to books. 

Can you see a country in the picture? No? That is because that typhoon is so big that you cannot even see the islands of Philippines. Yesterday, Eastern Visayas was hit by Super Typhoon Haiyan (locally known as Yolanda). 
I am from Philippines and this is scary. I saw a video posted at Facebook, video taken in Tacloban, Leyte where in it was Signal no.4. Highest storm signal warning we got in the Philippines. You can't even see the building in front of the person who took the video, you could hear the wind roaring, see the iron sheets flying in the sky. This is the first time in years we got that kind of warning. News all over the world says that this is one of the biggest typhoon ever hit land in the whole world. 

I feel for the people in Leyte. Bohol and Cebu were affected by it too. And they were still trying to get back on their feet after that Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake that hit both Bohol and Cebu, last October 15th. It was so devastating that whenever I see news about this, I can't help but get teary eyed. I fear for my fellow Filipinos. 

Although I am from Philippines, I am far from the Visayas region. I am from Luzon, near the capital, Manila. I lived in Bulacan, just 1 hours away from Quezon City (where I work) Quezon City is near Manila. The weatherman said that Manila will not be hit directly by Yolanda. Although that is the case, we are still experiencing heavy rain here and slightly windy weather too. 

I hope that this storm will be over soon. We need it to be over soon. Especially the people living in the affected areas. My heart and prayers go to them. :( 

Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms ever recorded, strikes the Philippines with gusts of up to 200mph (320km/h)
- BBC News

Haiyan is reported to have surpassed the Dvorak scale, commonly used to estimate typhoon intensity. According to Dr. Jeff Masters at wunderground.com, Haiyan made landfall at 310 kph, making it the strongest typhoon to reach land in recorded history. 
- TIME WORLD

The strongest typhoon in the world this year and possibly the most powerful ever to hit land smashed into the Philippines on Friday, forcing more than a million people to flee, flooding villages and raising fears of widespread casualties.

Haiyan, a category-5 super typhoon, scoured the northern tip of Cebu province and headed northwest towards Boracay island, both tourist destinations, after lashing the central islands of Leyte and Samar with 275-kph (170 mph) wind gusts and 5-6 meter (15-19 ft) waves.
- REUTERS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up